I will be blogging on the themes from my book That You Might Believe: Praying Advent with the Gospel of John through Advent 2007, and a number of other bloggers will be joining in with me. If you blog, join right in with us — if not, jump into the conversation in the comments of any of the participating blogs. Post your experiences of praying the Daily Office, insights from the readings or meditations, or recommendations for contemplative music to compliment the readings and prayers. The list of bloggers who have promised at minimum, some indeterminate number of posts for this series follows (hold your mouse over the name for a second to see the blog name).
- Brother Maynard
- Lainie Petersen
- Peggy Brown
- Adam Copeland
- John the Shepherd
- Rob Robinson
- Christine Sine
- Lori Bjerkander
- Glenn Jordan
- Julie Clawson
- Cindy Bryan
- Robin Dugall
- Lyn Hallewell
- J. Michael Matkin
- Eric G.
- (Formerly Emerging) Grace
- Matt Stone
- Milton Brasher-Cunningham
To display the participating posts using the widget shown on the right, copy and paste the following into your blog sidebar (or wherever):
If it doesn’t work at all, simply re-type the four instances of the ” (double-quote marks) — sometimes they copy as “smartquotes” which aren’t the same. The widget will inherit a number of css styles wherever you put it, so fonts and link behaviours and such should be close to whatever your site does. In some themes (like mine), the list items will start outside the box to the left… if yours does that, just change widget.php to widget2.php in the code snip above. By the way, when I said “wherever”, note that most blog platforms won’t allow the script tag inside a post. If you host your own WordPress install and want the widget in your blog posts, email me and I’ll let you in on the necessary trickery to make it work.
Posts in the series
- Lyn Hallewell: Advent Devotional
- Milton Brasher-Cunningham: Advent Journal
- A Prayer for Christmas Day
- Merry Christmas
- Happy Christmas!
- Merry Christmas
- Advent week 4: Love
- Advent’s Purple Love
- They Tried to Outlaw Christmas
- Johannine Advent: John 1:12 & 1 John 3:1-3
- The Huron Carol
- A Christmas Promise
- Love is here…
- Fourth Sunday of Advent – Joy
- Joy at Center Stage
- Day SIX of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- The Right to Become Children of God
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 8 – Thomas Merton
- Homecoming Joy
- Day FIVE of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 7
- Day FOUR of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- Johannine Advent: John 1:11 & 13
- Advent Reflection – Mary
- Christmas Joy
- Day THREE of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- The God Who
- Day TWO of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- Advent Reflections & Christmas Classics
- Advent Reflection – Joseph
- God moved into the Neighbourhood
- Day ONE of O Antiphon! Got your “O” on?
- Johannine Advent: John 1:9-10 & 14
- Advent’s Purple Joy
- Advent week 3: Joy
- Third Sunday of Advent – Love
- Joy to the World…
- God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 5
- He Came Like This?: A Consideration of “The Adoration of the Magi in Snow” by Pieter Bruegel the Elder
- Advent week 2: Peace
- What would John say? “Happy Advent!”
- A Witness Will Go Before You
- Perspectives on the Advent of Peace
- The Allelon of Shalom
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 4
- Let Peace Begin with Me
- Sermon Workshop: Luke 2:1-20, Christmas Eve
- Blessed are the Shalom Makers
- Whose Peace?
- Advent = Waiting
- The Light Shines in the Darkness
- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
- A Hymn for the second Sunday of Advent
- Advent’s Purple Peace
- Second Sunday of Advent — Peace
- The Sounds of Advent
- [Hymns of My Youth] 30: O Holy Night
- Tool Concert – a good “advent” experience?
- Good Gifts
- Hope Comes Softly
- Advent blogging with John: Waiting & Hoping
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 2
- Advent – Hoping for the Promises of God
- Hope can come in unexpected ways…
- How Long?
- Advent – Song of Hope
- Advent Burns & Advent Stings 1
- Hope Remembered
- Blogging Advent with the (online) community of faith
- Advent Traditions
- The First Sunday of Advent
- Beginning an Advent Journey with Brother Maynard and others
- Incarnational Ministry and Advent
- Johannine Advent: John 1:1-2, 18
- Advent Journal: Nothing but the Text
- Advent Journal: Going Into Labor
- Advent and the End of Chaos
- Advent Week 1: Waiting and Hope
- Waiting for our blessed hope…
- Advent Is Here!
- First Sunday of Advent – Hope
- Advent’s Purple Hope
- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
- Why are Advent Candles Purple?
- Advent Blogging 2007
- What Did You Expect?
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Saturday, December 22, 2007
Friday, December 21, 2007
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Monday, December 17, 2007
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Friday, December 14, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Monday, December 10, 2007
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Friday, December 7, 2007
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Monday, December 3, 2007
Sunday December 2, 2007
Other Advent Resources
- Scot McKnight will be Advent blogging independently from Matthew and John this year, and has hit some Johannine terms that mesh with this project, including Word (v.1), Life (v.4), Light (v.4-5), Flesh (v.14), and Glory (v.14).
- Lyn Hallewell is doing a Jesse Tree with her kids this year, and blogging daily devotionals.
- The Mockingbird’s Leap is another Advent blogging project that Glenn Jordan is coordinating.
- Advent Reflection by Christine Sine
- An Advent Liturgy by Christine Sine
- John Stackhouse: Entering Advent: Repentance and Forgiveness (I)
- J. Michael Matkin: I hate Advent
- Christine Sine: To Pray Without Ceasing
The Ghost of My Advent Posts Past
- An Advent Encounter (We All Heard It, featuring the shepherds, a 1999 piece republished December 19, 2005 & December 21, 2005)
- Doing Couch Church (December 19, 2004)
- The 1914 Christmas Truce (December 26, 2004)
- Advent I : The Waiting (November 27th, 2005)
- Advent II: The Muses of Joseph (December 4, 2005)
- Advent III: The Unexpected Mothers (December 11, 2005)
- Advent IV: They that Wait (December 18, 2005)
- Advent for Kids (December 13, 2005)
- Mixing metaphors, and Kicking your way to the Light (John’s Gospel, darkness & Light; December 20th, 2005)
- Jesus Christ The Apple Tree (December 22, 2005)
- And what of the innkeeper? (December 23, 2005)
- Christmas Presents Past (December 24, 2005)
- Bethlehem (December 25, 2005)