Happy Saturday! Here’s some Steven Wright to start us off.
- Last time I went to the movies I was thrown out for bringing my own food. My
argument was that the concession stand prices are outrageous. Besides, I
haven’t had a Bar-B-Que in a long time.
- One time I went to a drive-in in a taxi cab. The movie cost me $95.
- I went to the cinema, and the prices were: Adults $5.00, children $2.50. So I
said, “Give me two boys and a girl.”
- I went to a restaurant that serves “breakfast at any time.” So I ordered
French Toast during the Renaissance.
- I went to this restaurant last night that was set up like a big buffet in the
shape of an Ouija board. You’d think about what kind of food you want, and the
table would move across the floor to it.
- There’s a pizza place near where I live that sells only slices. In the back you
can see a guy tossing a triangle in the air.
- I went to a general store. They wouldn’t let me buy anything specifically.
- Black holes are where God divided by zero.
- Today I was arrested for scalping low numbers at the deli.
- I was once walking through the forest, alone, and a tree fell right in front of me, and I didn’t hear it.
- Yesterday I told a chicken to cross the road. It said, “What for?”
- Yesterday I saw a chicken crossing the road. I asked it why. It told me it was none of my business.
- I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, “Got any shoes you’re not using?”
- I took a course in speed waiting. Now I can wait an hour in only ten minutes.
Ah, I love that stuff. Shorter list of links this week, as I was short of reading time. I suppose I could have just dumped in a bunch of links to stuff I haven’t read, but that would just be too…. well, random, wouldn’t it?
- kathy escobar on why we need mothers & fathers, brothers & sisters, daughters & sons in church community
- Dan Sheffield asks, “do we need a missional ‘scorecard’?,” asking if the desire is evidence of modernist thinking. He reviews Newbigin’s six characteristics of [missional] community. By the way, establishing a new scorecard is the point (and subtitle) of Reggie McNeal’s recent book, Missional Renaissance
- An Interview with Os Guinness on the 25th Anniversary of Francis Schaeffer’s Death (yesterday)
- Plant dagnabbit… (Nice one, Bob!)
- J. Lee Grady: “We Christians don’t have a great track record when it comes to embracing change.” Ain’t that the truth? This he notes while saying that The charismatic movement as we know it has ended. What should I say about this that Kingdom Grace hasn’t already said?
- Steve Bell is blogging a trip through Egypt and Israel
- no risk = crap
- Can You Die From Lack of Sleep?
- The people at CT gave the women their own
sandboxblog to play in: her•meneutics. Maybe it’s only me, but I remember a summer camp where the boys and the girls got separate swim times in the pool. Just sayin’.
- I can’t wait for this to arrive from Levenger.
- iMonk did a series on church discipline… I’m including a link to the first post rather than the whole series… which I still have to finish reading through. Good stuff though, important topic.
- Another great TED Talk: Sir Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity. “No, your child doesn’t have ADD…”