We begin with a random image I selected. So is it, really? That should prime you for more lines from Steven Wright — but you have to imagine them in his signature deadpan voice.
- Right now I’m having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
- I was once walking through the forest alone. A tree fell right in front of me — and I didn’t hear it.
- He asked me if I knew what time it was. I said, “Yes, but not right now.”
- I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don’t accidentally walk through into another dimension.
- I like to reminisce with people I don’t know.
- I like to skate on the other side of the ice.
- I have a map of the United States… Actual size. It says, “Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile.” I spent last summer folding it. I also have a full-size map of the world. I hardly ever unroll it. People ask me where I live, and I say, “E6”.
- Every so often, I like to stick my head out the window, look up, and smile for a satellite picture.
- Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
- Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
Okay, now that your mind is good and twisted, let’s step along to the random weekly linkage, shall we?
- Brian McLaren points out a HuffPo interview with Bob Dylan that includes this exchange: “BF: But you’ve sold over a hundred million records. “BD: Yeah I know. It’s a mystery to me too.” Love that.
- Anyone have further thoughts on the theology of infant baptism?
- Be careful what you Tweet
- Most Interesting Bookstores of the World
- Agatha Christie Radio Mysteries Podcast
- Lost and Found: An Interview with Ed Stetzer
- More from Brad Sargent on Susan Boyle — or there’s the more cynical theory.
- The Totally Unofficial Walter Brueggemann Page
- I’ve been unable to read Sarah Miles’ Take This Bread since I loaned it out before reading it, and although it got a great review, the loan-ee steadfastly refuses to give it back. However, to tide me over there’s a list of some background on Ms. Miles, including a 4-part interview with Dick Staub.
- Need help Deciphering the Nuanced Differences between Neopuritanism and Neocalvinism?
- I’m sure I’ve seen and probably linked BestCommentaries.com before, but I’ve just revisited the site and discovered they have RSS feeds now. Cool! I’m sure I’m not the only one who is interested in updates from certain sites, but never think to go and check for them the old-fashioned way.
- Defining the nature of the parables — interesting for consideration
- The Old Bill’s new hero — Centenarian swimmer scores 100 per cent in pool; I met this fellow ten years or so ago… he does not look his age and is quite spry. But did anyone else know there was a 100-104 age category for competitive swimming?
- A blog about bookshelves
- Is this a sad societal or personal commentary? The 50-year-old mother who has spent £10,000 on surgery to look like her daughter
- Number of God-Believing Canadians Drops 13 Percent
- Bono at NYT: It’s 2009. Do You Know Where Your Soul Is?
So that’s a wrap for this week… but join us here each week my friends, you’re sure to get a smile, from seven stranded castaways, here
on Gilligan’s Isle at Subversive Influence.