This week I decided to startle y’all with a jarring image from the 70’s to greet you when you get here. For those that remember the 70’s, anyway — you young’uns can just scratch your heads a while, and it’ll make more sense further down the linkage list. I wonder why they don’t make a new feature movie based on the series? I suppose they’d have to change the title, given that September 13, 1999 came and went, and the moon is still in orbit — and there isn’t even a moon base up there. That we know of….
Okay, here’s your weekly joke, then on to the linkage:
The new priest is nervous about hearing confessions, so he asks an older priest to sit in on his sessions. The new priest hears a couple confessions, then the old priest asks him to step out of the confessional for a few suggestions. The old priest says, “Cross you arms over your chest and rub your chin with one hand.” The new priest tries it, while the old priest suggests, “Try saying things like, ‘I see,’ ‘yes,’ ‘go on,’ ‘I understand,’ and ‘how did you feel about that?'” The new priest recites those things, trying them out. The old priest says, “Now, don’t you think that’s a little better than saying, ‘Whoa… What happened next?'”
- RITI Coffee Printer Uses Your Coffee Grounds for Eco Ink!
- “Peter Rollins writes, ‘Without equivocation or hesitation I fully and completely admit that I deny the resurrection of Christ.'” — Rollins Denies the Resurrection
- Interesting subjects raised in The legacy Church left in the lives of children of fundamentalists…
- Frank Viola’s Interview with David Fitch
- the missional family tree according to leadership journal
- Tyndale Seminary is now publishing Missio Dei, its “Journal of Missional Christianity”, which I discovered when Dan Sheffield linked to Howard Snyder’s article, “Evangelism and the Kingdom of God“
- Missional Church and Liturgy? David Fitch on liturgical missional formation, with an article by Matt Tebbe, also from Life on the Vine, giving an overview of their worship gatherings.
- 25 Photographs Taken at the Exact Right Time
- Here’s one for bloggers: 50 sites to find free stock images
- The blog of Gerald Folkerts: A Gravel Road Journey… — Gerald is a local artist dying of an inoperable brain tumor. He attended a a recent showing of his work that he wasn’t expected to make.
- Here’s a good bit from Len Hjalmarson on (church) leadership, wisdom, and the future of strategic planning
- Thomas Merton: I Have No Idea Where I Am Going — an appropriate prayer to follow up Len’s piece.
- Plaid Stallions: “Mocking the Seventies a Catalog Page at a Time” Some scary stuff here, and now you finally understand the image at the top of the post. I remember this stuff. In fact, I think my brother might still have that Space:1999 Eagle somewhere… I know I still have a couple of the novels packed in a dusty box. Any young’uns are still scratching their heads about the picture, read up on Wikipedia
- Darryl Dash asks, Should we have statements of faith?
- Police pursue crime suspect by Wii avatar
- BBC piece interviewing Mark Berry and Ian Mobsby: Crystals versus Christ (via)
- Another new blog to watch: Voca Femina
- Note: when you want a personalized cake, be more specific!
- And this just in: Dan Kimball’s Hair Leaves Emerging Church!
Remember, you read it all here first. Well, some of it, anyway. See you next week! (Or come back any day during the week, too… I’m still posting stuff somewhat regularly. Or falling asleep trying!)