It started out slow, but as this weekend approached, it turned out a lot of things we had in mind to do all converged.
- Doors Open Winnipeg (Saturday & Sunday) is a cool concept where a whole bunch of buildings throw open their doors and give free tours. Mostly heritage buildings, several not normally open to the public, including the Vaughan Street Jail. 53 buildings participating this year — the event has been building gradually over the past three years, and we’ve managed to make it out to a few sites each year so far.
- Public Works Week Expo 2007 (Saturday) is where the city hauls out all their biggest and coolest machines and lets kids climb all over them. A couple of other companies get involved as well so there’s no shortage of things to see. We’ve done this a few times, always had fun… though last year was a bit too chilly of a day for it.
- The last of the Idea Exchange series for the season is Saturday evening. Sponsored by St. Benedict’s Table and held at Aqua books, this one features the music of Jenny Moore & Conrad Koslowsky
- The 21st Annual Teddy Bears’ Picnic (Sunday) is a perennial favorite — we haven’t missed one of these in about the last 7 years, rain or shine. This one is pretty much non-negotiable.
- “Regular” stuff scheduled for the weekend includes tomorrow evening with our regular gathering of simple church friends, as well as a Sunday morning thing for the kids. Not to mention St. Benedict’s Table Sunday evening. Oh, and Paul Vieira is organizing a gathering of “exiles” in the region to connect on Sunday afternoon.
- Not as much our crowd, but elsewhere this weekend Love Winnipeg is kicking off — a bunch of local evangelical churches doing the “kindness evangelism” thing for a two-week blitz.
- Our oldest daughter has a birthday party to go to on Saturday afternoon — after that both kids are booked to spend some time with their grandparents.
Well. Methinks we might not be able to squeeze all of this in… but if I’m sounding frazzled (or relieved) by the time Monday rolls around, at least you’ll know why! ;^)