You can still get sideways looks in many Christian circles if you refer to the Old Testament as “The Hebrew Bible,” but this doesn’t diminish the fact that we interpret many of the same Scriptures as do those of the Jewish faith. An improved understanding of the Jewish milieu at the time of Jesus also greatly aids an understanding of the New Testament. To this end, Mike DeVries has provided a fairly exhaustive Jewish Reading List. To his list I might only add David Daube’s The New Testament and Rabbinic Judaism (The Jewish people: history, religion, literature), which I’ve found helpful. I’m sure the list is not exhaustive, but most will be greatly helped by the careful selection of only a half-dozen of these titles.
- Jesus, the Fearmongers, the Conspiracy Theorists, & the New Segregationists
- The Tragedy of Trump
- Tony Jones, M. Sue Wilson, & the STFU Campaign
- Tony Jones & The New Emergent Manifesto, Part V
- Shameful Ignorance: Tony Jones & Christianity Today #CTshame
- Tony Jones & the Multiple Marriage Proposal
- Tony Jones & the New Emergent Manifesto, Part IV
- Sometimes I Doodle on 3×5 Cards: #WhenTony
In Past Years...