This thought comes from the current stack of books beside my chair. (Is it a thought or a realization?) The back cover of Ken Blue’s book Healing Spiritual Abuse lists these six questions:
* Are you discouraged from questioning the decisions or teachings church leaders make?
* If you do little or no volunteer work for the church, do you feel like a second-class Christian?
* Does your pastor insist on being addressed by a title such as “Dr.” or “Pastor”?
* Do you hear many broad, vague appeals to “surrender fully,” “yield completely” or “lay it all on the altar”?
* Are public reports about various ministry activities sometimes exaggerated?
* Do church members feel safe talking only about past victories, not present struggles?
I read these over, tallied up the “yes” answers and the “no” answers, and for the “no” answers, I noted any similar situations which might exist where I would answer “yes”. Not 100% affirmative, maybe things aren’t horrible. Then I read the line right after the questions, which is this: “If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be a victim of spiritual abuse.” Hmmm. Maybe one more reason I’m Desperately Seeking Detox.