Some years ago, friends of ours decided not to tell their kids much about Santa Claus, only to tell them about Jesus, and the real meaning of Christmas. Fine. Until one day they were walking through the mall just before Christmas and their young son got his first glimpse of Santa Claus causing him to point and ask, somewhat awe-struck, “Is that Jesus?” Evidently his logic was that he’d never seen this guy before and he knew Jesus came at Christmas time. Those were the days when we referred to him as “the jolly fat pagan” as a slight on the commercialism of Christmas. Now we have kids of our own, are slightly less self-righteous, and have therefore gone all soft – and when I say “we” I mean that the negative bits refer to me and positive bits refer to my wife. Don’t worry, the kids know the difference between Jesus and Santa Claus: they only actually saw one of them at the Santa Claus Parade this year. Anyway, all that preamble as an excuse to point you to the Scared of Santa photo gallery (a link I found today on Dave Hopkins’ Blog).
- Was Jesus Politically Correct?
- Jesus, the Fearmongers, the Conspiracy Theorists, & the New Segregationists
- The Tragedy of Trump
- Tony Jones, M. Sue Wilson, & the STFU Campaign
- Tony Jones & The New Emergent Manifesto, Part V
- Shameful Ignorance: Tony Jones & Christianity Today #CTshame
- Tony Jones & the Multiple Marriage Proposal
- Tony Jones & the New Emergent Manifesto, Part IV
In Past Years...
- Study on the American Emerging Church Released
- Missional DNA... Describing Foundational Missional Concepts Good discussion going on concerning some foundational concepts for missional church, including hte place and function of the fivefold ministries (APEPT) in missional churches. To summarise the conversation....
- I'm getting a little tired...
- Communion as a Culinary Art
- Movement spurns the megachurch model